Here at The Highway, PE plays an integral part of our curriculum and our commitment to developing the children holistically. All our PE lessons and extra-curricular clubs are designed, organised and run with the 7 Olympic values in mind - Inspiration, Equality, Friendship, Determination, Respect, Courage and Excellence.
At The Highway we aim to:
- Develop pupils’ physical competence and confidence and their ability to use these to perform in a range of activities
- Promote physical skillfulness, physical development and knowledge of the body in action
- To provide opportunities for pupils to be creative, competitive and tackle different challenges
- Promote positive attitudes towards active and healthy lifestyles
- Give children opportunities to plan, perform and improve the quality and effectiveness in a wide variety of creative, competitive and challenge activities
- Provide specialised coaches to run before and after school extra-curricular clubs
Each year a new School Sports Council is elected which includes children from each class. The Sports Council members meet and discuss matters such as sports competitions and tournaments, which new PE equipment might be needed and which new sports the children might like to see introduced.
As well as developing key physical skills in lessons, we have a great history of taking part and succeeding in competitive sport, both in inter-school and intra-school competitions.